The Star Trek Re-Watch Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S2E17 A Piece of the Action

2 posters

Go down

S2E17 A Piece of the Action Empty S2E17 A Piece of the Action

Post  Admin Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:11 pm

Original Air Date 1/12/68

The Enterprise travels to a planet suffering from cultural contamination from an earlier expedition--the inhabitants mimic the culture of 1920's gangland Chicago.

Admin
Admin

https://trekwatch.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

S2E17 A Piece of the Action Empty Re: S2E17 A Piece of the Action

Post  Adam-12 Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:31 pm

I really like this episode a lot despite it's numerous flaws. I could be wrong but I think this is the first ep that mentions the Prime Directive (although not by name). The concept of the ship that arrived 100 years earlier and sent a message that took so long to reach Starfleet because of a lack of subspace transmissions is really good. It is funny though to hear Kirk talk about fixing any contamination the Horizon may have left when he himself is responsible for so much contamination himself! There is also a lot of good banter between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy on display here.

What I don't like about this episode is how Kirk ends up playing the role of a ganster towards the end of it. He does it with the accent and all as if he's known about the 20's all along. It doesn't seem like he should be that familiar with that era, especially since he didn't seem to recognize it right off the bat at the beginning. McCoy is the one that comments that he's seen pictures "of the old days" that look like this.

What's interesting to me about re-watching all these episodes is how many seeds I've seen planted that grow and mature in future Trek series. It's amazing how these concepts are often solid but end up over the top and cheesy by the end of the show but then, in future Trek series, they take the same concepts and have a much more serious outcome that really grounds it.

Brandon, I'm envious of you, and you're going to love most of what lies ahead!!!

Adam-12
Admin

Back to top Go down